I am immensely proud today to be able to share that I have been awarded an OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for services to British exports to Singapore and wider Asia-Pacific region.
I will endeavour to use the recognition that this brings to assist other UK SMEs to export and grow within ASEAN. As an independent business, Adelphi Digital would not have been able to succeed without the assistance of the UKTI and the FCO, who I would like to thank for being so helpful. I urge the new UK Government to support these organisations with their excellent work in helping put the Great into British export businesses.
I initially travelled to Singapore to spend four months setting up the Adelphi Digital Singapore office, but after falling in love with the people, the region and the food (maybe the food should come first in the list) it was an easy decision to stay. Now, after four years of living and working in Singapore, the opportunities for British trade and the growth of Adelphi Digital's Singapore office continues to excite and inspire me.
Earlier this month, I was delighted to be invited onto the board of the UK-ASEAN Business Council (UKABC.org.uk) as a director, and I'm looking forward to helping the UKABC generate lasting relationships between the UK and the ASEAN nations. The Council was created to facilitate a step change in the level of trade and investment between the UK and ASEAN and through this contribute towards UKTI's ambition to support 50,000 SMEs and increase UK exports to £1trn by 2020. Being the CEO of a SME that has been successful in exporting to the ASEAN region, I am very keen to work with the UKABC, the UKTI, the Chambers of Commerce and the FCO to achieve these ambitious plans.
Over the coming weeks, I'll be releasing some thought pieces on some of topics that interest me most, including:
- British trade relationships with Singapore and the wider ASEAN region, with a focus on how small and medium sized enterprises from both regions can benefit
- Female entrepreneurship particularly within the creative, technical and innovation community, both digital and wider into consultancy
- Agile business and how businesses have to evolve to survive in the digital world
- Accessibility, the aging population and how smart cities could help to address some of these issues
- Internal communications in international digital organisations and how business can learn from the world of gaming
I feel enormously positive about the future of digital business and opportunities for UK SMEs in ASEAN and I'm looking forward to helping shape that future.